IPA4SME provides financial and expert support for intellectual property (IP) valorisation and protection services to SMEs which have received a Seal of Excellence from the H2020 SME Instrument program, worth up to 15.000 EUR.
Protection of IP is crucial for promoting innovation and boosting the competitiveness of European SMEs. In order to support SMEs, IPA4SME offers the following services:
- IP Pre-diagnostics: Free of charge expert analysis of SMEs’ existing technology and knowledge assets along with a customised IP business strategy.
- IP Protection Co-financing: Partial reimbursement of the costs associated with the IP registration process. This support will be provided through 2 distinct services
- EPO fee reimbursement: For each EPO patent application, beneficiaries will receive 75% of the corresponding EPO fee with a limit of 2.500 EUR per patent application. This service will be limited to 5 applications per SME
- IP attorney fee reimbursement: For each patent application process beneficiaries will receive 50% of their IP attorney costs up to 2.000 EUR. The IP attorneys must be entitled to act before the EPO. There is no limit to the number of applications for this service but each application must be associated with a unique patent application process.
IPA4SME is a COSME action being carried out by a consortium composed of CARSA (Leader and Coordination Centre), the University of Alicante and GOPAcom.
In order to be eligible for any of the IPA4SME support services, applicant SME must fulfil the following requirements:
- Be holder of a Seal of Excellence awarded in the context of the H2020 SME instrument. The Seal of Excellence must have been awarded to the SME in the three years prior to the call cut-off date.
- Meet the criteria to be considered an SME by the European Commission. Specifically, employ fewer than 250 persons, have an annual turnover not exceeding 50 million EUR, and/or an annual balance sheet total not exceeding 43 million EUR.
- All EU and COSME countries are eligible for IP Protection Co-financing.
- To be eligible for IP Pre-diagnostics, SMEs must be incorporated in one of the following countries: Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Netherlands, Spain, and Sweden.
More detailed information can be found in the “supporting documentation” section at the IPA4SME Electronic Submission System, which can be accessed here:
Please note that only applications submitted via EMS will be eligible.